About the Committee
The State Committee for Standardization of the Republic of Belarus (Gosstandart) was established according to the Decree No. 289 of the President of the Republic of Belarus of 05.05.2006 «Оn the structure of the Government of the Republic of Belarus» by force of fusion of the Committee for standardization, metrology and certification under the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus, Committee for energy efficiency under the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus and the Department of the state constructional surveillance under the Ministry of Architecture and Construction of the Republic of Belarus.
The State Committee for Standardization of the Republic of Belarus (Gosstandart) is the republican public authority for implementation of the common governmental policy in technical regulation, standardization, metrology, conformity assessment, energy efficiency, for carrying out surveillance in construction and inspection of projects and estimates compliance with regulations and standards, as well as supervision of fuel, electric and heat energy rational use.
At present more than 50 organizations situated in different regions of the country constitute the structure of the Committee.
The central office and organizations of Gosstandart implement a wide range of tasks, including the following:
- raising the safety, quality and competitiveness of products (services), rational use of fuel and energy resources, elimination of technical barriers to trade, protection the state and consumer interests;
- ensuring effective functioning and development of the systems for technical regulation and standardization; assurance of uniformity of measurements; accreditation; conformity attestation;
- pursuance of the overall coordination of technical regulations and governmental standards preparation, creation and approval of plans (programs) for their development taking into account the proposals of the republican public authorities, organizations;
- ensuring the creation, development and maintenance at the required level of technical base of standards of units, organization of state tests, metrological attestation, verification and calibration of measuring instruments;
- coordination and organization of works on certification of products, works, services, personnel, quality management systems, environmental management systems, occupational safety and health, energy consumption, food safety, etc.;
- formation of the state policy on the efficient use of fuel and energy resources, organization of development and implementation of national concepts and programs for energy saving;
- pursuance of the state supervision over observance of technical regulations and standards, over measuring instruments, rational use of fuel, electrical and heat energy;
- surveillance in construction and inspection of projects and estimates compliance with regulations and standards;
- organization and coordination of works on international cooperation of the Republic of Belarus in the field of technical regulation, standardization, metrology, accreditation, efficient use of fuel and energy resources.
The main effort in the field of technical regulation is currently focused on the development of the system of technical regulation of the Customs Union.
The most important task of the governmental standardization is to develop and maintain updated regulatory framework to ensure design and production of safe, high quality and competitive products and services, as well as to implement requirements of technical regulations adopted by the Customs Union.
The regulatory framework of the Republic covers today almost all sectors of the economy; at present it is actively developing and upgrading. The most significant developments are made in the machine-engineering, construction, electrical, chemical and petrochemical, energy conservation, agricultural and other sectors. Priority in these works is given to harmonization of national requirements with international and regional standards.
Gosstandart maintains the National Fund of technical normative legal acts, providing for industry and business entities an access to governmental, international, regional and national standards of other countries, including access on basis of Internet-technologies.
The State program “Standards and scientific instruments” is implemented in the Republic of Belarus. Today the national base of standards includes 44 national and reference standards. Their development is tailored to the needs of the economy of the country.
A set of measures is also carried out by Gosstandart to further harmonize the national system of accreditation to international standards and generally accepted international practice with the aim to ensure international recognition of the accreditation activity results.
A steady upward tendency on raising the number of organizations holding the certificates confirming their management systems compliance with the international standards is observed in the Republic of Belarus.
Gosstandart participates in the work of the leading International and European organizations for standardization, metrology, accreditation (ISO, IEC, OIML, UNECE, CEN, CENELEC, ILAC, EA etc.), it takes pro-active stand in the work on technical regulation within the framework of integration structures in the post-Soviet area – Customs union, EurAsEC and CIS.
Business contacts at the bilateral level are developed as part of implementation international agreements with more than 20 countries.
Gosstandart is the head republican public authority for cooperation with a number of international and regional organizations